Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 2 Life Balance Web 2.0

6 year olds owning a mobile phone and video gaming addiction.....we are definitely heading into the digital era and pushing the boundaries even further and further

Another illuminating but scary day reflecting on the rapid changes that will soon hit us in the coming years. Sink or swim...take a deep breath, I dont think we have a choice here.

Digital natives and digital immigrants, certainly something to think about. As academics we definitely have to learn the various emerging technologies and at the very least know what they do and how they can help us in improve our teaching and the learning of our students. I found Prensky's article http://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf
very illuminating however, I disagree partly with his assertion that "Our students have changed radically. Today’s students are no longer the people our educational system was designed to teach." The reality is that yes, the world is changing but our students may or may not be embracing this technology as quickly as we think they are. Many of the students that I canvassed since doing this course have not been able to use many of the Web2.0 that I have been introduced to in this course. Its however good to stay one step ahead of the current students I suppose. Like Ben in his blog where he posted his contrary view about how he has doubts about the "inevitability" of technology, I too think likewise. As long as we view technology and the fast pace of this progression as a tool for us but remember that again we need to be cognizant of its effect on us as social beings and human beings. We still need a connection to our community, I doubt whether the community generated by Web 2.0 technology can be truly an authentic community if no human touch is communicated. That sense is still a vital need in human communication. I would challenge that technology can supersede this need wholly. I would also challenge the presumption that e-learning can be totally effective. I think people learn by modelling and this aspect of teaching cannot be easily replaced by technology alone. I wonder if others think differently?

I feel this is an exciting time for us, as teachers, we are learners as well, dont forget this technology helps us too, as Ben said, research now is relatively easy with the wealth of information at our finger tips. I too remember the days of microfiche and spending endless time at the library searching for non existant books...I'm always ending up not reserving the books and the ones that I want are usually out! What about storage...I used to be up in my ears in my study with books and papers, now I have neat folders categorised in my computer files with ability to Search. I think I have embraced some aspects of new technology but have more to learn, hence that is why I am doing this ICT course.

Whether we are digital natives or digital immigrants, I think doesnt matter. What is important at the end of the day is balance and self-care. Its not what we do but how we do it. At the end of the day, reflecting on the process is important and the person behind all this is important too...dont let the Machine Use Us, lets Use the Machine wisely. see video in next blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment